Advisory Board Member, Superintendent of Broward County Public Schools
As the leader of the nation’s sixth-largest school district, with nearly 270,000 students from over 200 countries and speaking more than 190 different languages – ensuring equity, mental health and wellness, safe and supportive learning environments, closing achievement gaps and celebrating diversity are priorities for Superintendent Robert W. Runcie.
Superintendent Runcie joined Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) in 2011 and quickly worked to develop a strategic plan focusing on three strategic goals: high-quality instruction, safe and supportive environments, and effective communication.
With a strong emphasis on literacy, early learning, middle grades learning, and college and career readiness, academic achievements across BCPS are increasing. The District’s graduation rate is at an all-time-high and advanced placement pass rates are the highest in a decade. BCPS is also the first school district in the U.S. to receive the Cambridge District of the Year distinction and the District’s high schools consistently rank among the best in the nation.
Under Superintendent Runcie’s leadership, the District has expanded career and technical programs, established the District’s first military academy and increased speech and debate programs – to the largest in the nation with more than 20,000 participating students. He has also strengthened the District’s investment in music and arts programs, redesigned underperforming schools and expanded access to computer science in schools to more than 50,000 students.
His commitment to collaborating with stakeholders and creating partnerships has earned Superintendent Runcie state and national recognition including:
- 2017 Community Leadership Award recipient from the Hispanic Education Coalition of Palm Beach County and the José Martí Foundation
- 2017 President of the Florida Association of District School Superintendents
- 2016 Superintendent of the Year from the National Alliance of Black School Educators
- 2016 Florida Superintendent of the Year
- 2015 Hispanic Serving Superintendent of the Year from Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents
- 2014 Consortium of Florida Education Foundations Superintendent of the Year
- 2014 Champion District Superintendent of the Year for Florida Consortium of Public Charter Schools
Superintendent Runcie also serves on numerous local and national boards including Urban League of Broward County, Children Services Council, United Way, Code.org, National Speech & Debate Association, and Chiefs for Change.
He earned his undergraduate bachelor’s degree in Economics from Harvard University, and his Master of Management from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Business.
Superintendent Runcie believes that our greatest challenges, our moments of crisis and grief and pain, also present our greatest opportunities for growth and transformation. He believes we must learn to seize those moments – with love, compassion and grace – to give our children the life skills they need to be successful in a complex world.